“Helping the advancing student succeed through tone development, finger technique and quality repertoire. ”
Are you looking for a flute instructor?
I would love to help move you or your students up to the next level. I have taught for more than 35 years and do my best to:
- Give all of my students a balanced program of tone development, technique through scales and etudes and high quality repertoire.
- Assist students in preparing for All State and other Honor’s Band auditions, Solo and Ensemble Festival, Concerto Competitions and college auditions.
- Assist students with literature in their school band or orchestra folders.
Although most people know me as the former conductor of the Belleville Philharmonic Chorale and orchestra which I led for 21 years or as co-conductor of the Oratorio Society of Estes Park, guiding young flutists toward high levels of skill and musicality is one of the great joys of my life.
Just to fill you in on my credentials a bit, here is a summary of some of the achievements of my present and former students:
- Most of my students earn “1” ratings at solo and ensemble festivals
- Many have served as first chair players in their High School Bands including Webster and Lindbergh High in Missouri, O’Fallon Mascoutah and Central in Illinois, and Estes Park, Colorado
- Six winners of ‘Best in Room’ award at IMEA solo and ensemble festival
- Student received the Young Artist’s Scholarship for new students at Millikin University
- Student winner of the University City 2012 Concerto Competition and second chair in the prestigious Saint Louis Symphony Youth Orchestra
- Student earned position of first chair piccolo in the University of Notre Dame.
- Students have earned admission to the bands at University of Missouri, University of Iowa, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
The Flutist’s Craft by Robert Charles Howard
The Flutist’s Craft is designed to assist serious flute students in strengthening their technical foundation. A wide spectrum of scales forms are presented including major, minor, chromatic, modes, whole tone, pentatonic, octatonic and blues scales. Several useful appendices cover topics including fingering and trill charts, discussion of performance practice, extended flute resources as well as guidelines and suggestions for strengthening performance and audition preparation and memorization. Purchase on Amazon
Attention band and orchestra directors: If you would be interested in a clinic for your flute section I would be happy to visit your school and work with your flutists.
I would love to hear from any students who are seeking serious study of the flute. I teach through the summer and school year at my home in Estes Park.
Contact me for more information:
(970) 617-3718 – cell
(970) 480-1132 – home